Monday, December 20, 2010

Mille Crepe cake


I've had this idea rolling around in my head for a while now. I recently found out the name of it which is mille crepe. Mille is french for thousand--implying many layers not literally a thousand. Crepe is french for crepe. :)

Technically I used my swedish pancake recipe because I have it memorized and it makes a nice "pancake". I used the Pot de Creme recipe from The Pioneer Woman for the filling. I used rum flavoring instead of vanilla though. It was delicious. If I could have fit my head in the blender I would have licked it clean. Curse this giant skull.

So I whipped up and cooked 21 crepes, made the pot de creme, then just layered. One crepe, spread the pot de creme evening, next crepe. 21 layers made a nice and heavy little pastry.

I wanted to take it to the next level so I piped out butterfly wings in white chocolate. This was a learning experience. I thought I would be able to just assembly the wings into butterflies on the cake slices. I ended up using toothpicks to hold them up. I have since done some research on this. Next time after I make the wings, I will place come wax paper in between tongs lean the wings on either side, then pipe the "body" on. That should enable the butter fly to stand on it's own. Live and learn. I was pleased with the results. I can't wait to make another cake for someone. Anyone having a birthday that likes butterflies?

No comments: