Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin



I just roasted and pureed 2 pumpkins. I am going to have to start cooking with pumpkin every week. My current pumpkin recipe collection includes pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, and a Julia Child's pumpkin soup recipe.

In celebration of the vegetable I'm going to find some new recipes and I'll update my blog if I find some winners. If you have a good recipe let me know.

If you want to make your own puree, you just cut it in half, scoop out the insides, put each half cut side down on a pan, and cook at 350 degrees until it's soft. You can poke it with a fork or do a push test. Let it cool down. Cut it into chunks and puree it in a food processor or blender. I put about 1 1/2 to 2 cups in a freezer bag and freeze it in stacks so it stays flat.



Also I'd like to update my quinoa and beans experience. Made another batch but used 50/50 mix of black eyed peas (a bean fyi) and black beans. I used dried beans and cooked them in the crock pot (low setting 6 hours). I cooked the quinoa separate and added it to the beans when they were done. Instead of roma tomatoes, I made a little salsa of tomatillas, cucumber and the cilantro and added that instead. Loved it.

2 comments:

soybeanlover said...

Mm pumpkin is awesome. Here the just cut it into bite size pieces, boil it with soy sauce and sugar, and just eat it as a side dish. Oh and have you tried roasting it flesh up @230C for 45 minutes? Absolutely divine. So good in fact that my toddler steals pieces as I scoop it out, post cooling. Enjoy!!

Sara Jensen said...

Derek has made us some dreamy pumpkin desserts lately, but not with home made puree- wow!!!! So cool!