Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pumpkin fest recipe #1


Butternut squash, pumpkin, coconut soup

1 cup water
1/2 butternut squash cubed
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
salt & pepper to taste
a pinch cayenne pepper to the spiciness level you like
1 tsp thai curry paste of choice (I used masaman)
1 tsp oyster sauce
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
4 oz sausage

Cook the squash in the water and coconut milk until it starts to get tender. Cook the sausage in a pan and add that to the pot. Add a little water to that pan and deglaze it and add the liquid to the soup. Add all the other ingredients.
So, basically I just used up some stuff I had in the fridge that I didn't want to go bad and I need to do something with all that pumpkin puree. Once I thought of adding the coconut milk it made it magical though. It was pretty good. I don't think I would have added sausage to it except that I had a half a package left and I thought, why not. If you don't use sausage, use broth instead of water.

No comments: