Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Quinoa & black beans

I keep hearing how quinoa is so amazing. It has the most protein of any grain, has as complete a protein as milk, more iron than other grains, has lots of other vitamins and minerals, and saves orphaned kittens from burning trees.

Technically it's not actually a grain but it looks like a grain and acts like a grain. It's really a seed so doesn't that make it a fruit? Anyhow it's really good for you and I've discovered it's pretty tasty.

I made a quinoa and black beans recipe. Delicious. I ate it straight up out of a bowl. It would work well as a meal in itself or as a side. I also thought it would be tasty wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese. I didn't have any tortillas though.





Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 tbl lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cheyenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1-2 roma tomatoes, chopped


You bowl the quinoa in a pot of water for about 10 mins. I believe I used about 2 cups of water. If it starts to get too dry add a little more water.


Add the lime juice cumin, cheyenne pepper, & turmeric. You can add a pinch more or less of any of those per your preference for flavor and spiciness. I only like a hint of cumin so I kept it on the down low. Cook that on a very low temperature just so the flavors can settle in.


The quinoa should be light and fluffy. That's what all the recipes say. I wouldn't describe it as fluffy but I don't have a better word for it. Add the black beans and stir them in. Let them just sort of warm up, then don't need to cook. So, after a couple of minutes take it off the heat.


The cilantro and tomatoes are better fresh in my opinion so add them right before serving.Once again, add as much or as little to taste. I like a lot of cilantro.


I had this as leftovers 2 or 3 days and never got sick of it. It has a nice nutty flavor to it. Next in my quinoa adventures will be Martha Stewart's breakfast quinoa recipe.

1 comment:

Matt said...

i do enjoy a bowl of quinoa. i especially love that you can treat it like a rice pilaf and toast the seeds before cooking. adds a nuttier flavor. tasty.