Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marathon Training Week 6

10 weeks to go! I can't believe how fast the time is going. I'm going to be honest. I have not been as consistent in my training as I should be. I've had things come up. I've thrown on some of the tshirt designs I've been playing with. I made shirts for people who supported me last time.

The truth is, you are either 100% committed or when things come up, you'll get sidetracked. I'm trying to decide if I'm 100% committed yet or not. It's not enough to just say to yourself, I'm committed. There's some inner something that just clicks, and you know you are. I think it comes down to motivation. So I've written down some of the factors I think should be motivating me to train more consistently.

1. Want to beat my previous time (5:09:00).
2. Don't want to hurt myself or have an excessively long recovery time.
3. I want to finish. Period.
4. Feel awesome about the event
5. Impress my friends and family cheering for me at the finish line


Let me eloborate a little on my training program. I have revolutionized my training strategies since I went to a workshop at the Salt Lake Running Company. It's based on some of the same principles from the Run Less, Run Faster book.

I have 3 run workouts per week. Quality Run 1 is basically speed training. I go one 400 m lap really fast (right now I do 8:00/mile speed), then a lap at a slow jog/walk. I've been doing 8 repeats (8 fast/8 slow).

Quality Run 2 is a tempo run. Basically a tempo run is a fast short run. I've been doing a little warm up jog, then 2 miles at a 9:15/mile pace, followed by a short cool down jog/run.

The Long Run is the only run I care about my miles really. It goes up incrementally by around 10% per week. Last Saturday I did 13.6 (supposed to be 13), so I'll go 14.5-15 miles this saturday.

Every 2-3 weeks I throw in a rest week. That means I don't run so hard on my quality runs and cut my long run by 50-60%.

I should also be doing some cross training 2-3 times a week on my off-run days. That's where I've been slipping. Bad Amy. I shouldn't because I've got a couple of tri's this year too and I need to keep my biking and swimming skills up.