Monday, March 29, 2010

18 miles: 7 weeks to marathon

Overall the 18 mile run Saturday went well. I met a couple of runny buddies (well one new running buddy and a friend from last year's WBR), and we carpooled up and ran 18 miles of the course. 18.3 according to google maps.

This is a beautiful course. We started up at the corner for the turn off to go up to Causey Reservoir. You go down a little canyon into Ogden Valley. It's a pretty straight, flat few miles then you go around Pineview Reservoir on the Eden side. Then it's up the big hill at mile 14. That section along the west side of the reservoir, is a little be hilly. Not really bad, but after 13 miles you feel it a little more than if you are only running the 1/2 marathon.


I stopped just at the bottom of that first steep downhill running into Ogden Canyon. I haven't done a whole lot of downhill training so far so I wanted to give my body a little taste of it before the race.

My total time was 3:03:12. Almost 10 min miles dead on. It occurred to me that I have to maintain that pace for 8 more miles to finish at my goal time. Sigh.

I tried out Cliff Shot Bloks in this run. I had tried them at a race expo once and didn't like the flavor I tried. Too salty tasting. I got a free sample of Tropical something at the Moab 1/2 Marathon so I decided to give them a second chance. I had a lime Gu at about 4 miles, 1/2 the shot bloks at mile 7, Cliff Mocha gel at 12.5 miles (stomach protest a little), and the rest of the shot bloks at about mile 15 or 16. No more stomach issues.


I've had bad experiences with 4 or more gels before so I'm feeling good about staggering the gels and the shot bloks. They may become a permanent part of my long distance fueling regimen.

No comments: