Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tour de Cure 2011

I am currently in the mad rush to raise money for the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure. 16 days left! Curse my procrastinating ways!

Last I checked, I have $30 in donations so I need $120 left to raise. If 24 people each donated $5 that would do it. Or 12 to donate $10. In my mind $5 is the cost of a combo meal which will probably only take you closer to diabetes. So, give up the burger and fries this week and donate to a good cause.

Here's some scary diabetes facts from the ADA (they have solid sources for all their stats, I checked before reposting).


  • 25.8 million (8.3%) of the US have diabetes

  • 79 million are pre-diabetes

  • 215,000 people younger than 20 years old have diabetes (type 1 or 2)

  • Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, non-traumatic lower limb amputations, blindness, heart disease, and stroke.

  • It is the 7th leading cause of death in the US

That stats that really scare me are the 79 million people on the verge of full blown type II diabetes. Wondering if you are at risk? Are you overweight (they specify BMI above 25) and not active? Are you thirsty often and have a hard time sleeping? The best thing you can do to prevent diabetes is get active. Start today but just going out for a 30 min walk. You can get away with being a little overweight if you active.

Also, type II used to be called "adult onset diabetes" but that term has been losing popularity because so many kids are getting type II now. There are almost as many cases as type II in kids as type I. In some race groups there are more cases of type II than type I.

Here's a link to my personal Tour de Cure page. You can donate online or get me cash/checks (written to the American Diabetes Association).

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/TourdeCure/UtahArea?px=3304181&pg=personal&fr_id=7612

No comments: